LARC® and CERC® are PLATIT’s trademarked brand names for rotating cylindrical cathodes inside the door and at the center of the coating chamber using ARC technology for deposition.
The working principle of all PLATIT Pi coating units is based on the revolutionary LARC® cathodes (LAteral Rotating Cathode). The Pi411 is upgradable with a CERC® (Central Rotating Cathode).
Compared to conventional cathodes, rotating cathodes have several advantages:
- Flexibility in programming the coating composition of unalloyed targets
- A larger effective target surface area (pi x d) at a constant target length h (pi x d x h) prolongs target lifetime
- Excellent process control and stability
- Improved coating adhesion through LGD® etching (Lateral Glow Discharge)
- Homogeneous vertical coating thickness distribution in the chamber